Thursday, November 20, 2008

Redundant Thinking

I am amazed at how I can over-think certain matters.

For example, I was just helping my brother fill some survey questions. One of them goes like this:

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake IN DAYS?

My mind started kicking in with all my formulation and analytical thinking. I started listing out a list like this assuming size of patch starts with 1:

Day (Size of patch)
1 (1)
2 (2)
3 (4)
4 (8)
5 (16)
. .
. .
. .
48 ? Formula

And I tot I was so darn smart to remember that questions like this usually requires a formula associated with power. Henceforth, I came up with the formula (which I later double checked was correct): 2(n-1) , n being the number of days.

On day 48, size of patch would be 2(48-1) = 2(47) , then half the size would be 2(47) /2 = 2(47-1)
Hence it would take 47 days for the lake to be half covered.

No wonder they say a woman's mind is complicated. I really need to give myself a knock on the head!
The answer was just waving into my face and I went a whole round of thinking just to get a logical answer. They have already clearly specified that the patch doubles with each day. Since it filled up the lake on the 48th day, then it is simply half filled just a day earlier!

STUPID AVRIL!!!!! Think so much for what!!!!!!

1 comments:

Pei Lin said...

Haha... you know what? I'll not get the answer right... cos I'll be so simple minded and divide 48 by 2.. and I'll get 24 days... ;p

Related Posts with Thumbnails