"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings"
This is a real pain in the ass and damn frustrating.
It has tormented me for a whole long week while I scoured the WWW for an answer.
What I had tried to rectify the problem:
- Restarting the computer
- Resetting the iPhone
- Turn off and on the iPhone
- Change a different cable
- Change to a different port on the computer
- Try on a different computer
- Reinstalling the latest iTunes
- Go all the way right down to Device Manager to uninstall-install Apple driver as I had suspected Comp to be detecting iPhone as a camera instead.
- Called Apple (US)
- Called mobile provider
I was about to give up and restore my phone to factory settings (and losing along all settings, contacts, smses) when finally, the break came.... iFunBox!
I used it to have "iTunesDB" and "iTunesCDB" deleted. WTH... how did the database file get corrupted in the first place??
Nevertheless, my iphone is now finally recognized and sync-able.